Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A half-dozen of my favorite books



I read as many books as I can every year because I enjoy learning new ideas and refreshing other thoughts in my mind. I've noticed that at the end of every year for the past 30, I tend to read books that inspire me for the new year. So, my gift to you today is to share six of my favorites. I welcome you to share your favorites too!

1. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (published in 1937)    The title is misleading to people who have Not read it yet. When I ask my audience how many have read Think and Grow Rich, I always get a few "snickers" from those who think it's another book from The Donald.  It's nothing like his books. Brian Tracy (one of my favorite speakers and sales trainers) says "This is the best single book on personal success ever written; it made me a millionaire - starting from nothing."   Harvey Mackay, the New York Times Bestseller says "It's the classic of all classics."  Buy 2 copies and give one to a friend who needs a boost these days.

2. The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr Norman Vincent Peale (published in 1952)
This is THE greatest inspirational bestseller our our time. I read it in 1970 when I was just 14 years old. It gave me great hope while I was living on welfare with my family.

3. Lifetime Plan for Success by Dale Carnegie.   This book contains 2 bestsellers by Mr. Carnegie. How to Win Friends and Influence People (1936) and How to Stop Worrying and Start Living (1944)     My guess is that most of you have read his books - but just in case you haven't yet, you may want to add it to your list.   I even gave a copy to my teenage son and asked for a book report on it.

4. Unstoppable by Cynthia Kersey    45 Powerful stories of perseverance and triumph from people just like you.  What a great read. She also wrote Unstoppable for Women.
There are so many inspiring stories in the book that I couldn't put it down!

5. The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino. I have a copy of Three Volumes In One which also contains The Greatest Secret in the World and The Greatest Miracle in the World.

6. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. I always smile when I look at this book because I was so "wowed" by it that I changed my license plate to WINWIN.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all of you. I wish you and your loved ones plenty of smiles, memorable moments and good health.

Sincerely ~  Neil    The Mayor of Optimist Island

No comments:

Post a Comment