Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Setting Goals the SMART way!

One of my friends sent a note on Facebook and asked me to share a few ideas on setting goals. So, I'll share an abbreviated version of my 90 minute Goals program. The mnemonic I have used for 25 years is SMART

1. S - Specific. Your goal(s) must be specific. Saying you want earn more, or be happier or lose some weight is too vague. Specifically how much do you want to earn this year? How much weight do you want to lose and by what date?  "Some money or some weight is not specific. Once you have a specific goal, write it down on paper.

When I listened to Zig Ziglar's cassette on how to set goals (1977) I set two specific goals immediately. I wanted to lose 30 pounds and be able to run 6 miles without stopping. 6 months later ~ I accomplished both goals.

2. M - Measurable. Your progress must be measurable so that you can stay on track and feel good about the success you are having along the way. Create a "flight-plan" which notes where you are now, how you will get to your goal and estimated time of arrival.

When I flew from Boston to Denver last week, the pilot gave us periodic updates so we knew where we were and how close to our goal we were getting. As You reach these measurable points, give yourself a meaningful reward. We all know that Positive reinforcement goes a long way.

3. A - Attainable. You all know that I am an Optimist. I'm also a "Realist" ~ just so you know.  My 15 year-old son came into the house with exciting news. He was going to enter a 150 mile bike race to help raise money for cancer. "Great!" I said.   Since he doesn't ride his bike at all, I asked how many months he was going to train. "Oh, the race is in 5 days." he said.  He never entered. When I gave myself 6 months to reach my goals - that was attainable, measurable and specific.

You DO want to set what I call "stretch" goals to keep you excited - and they should be attainable. Don't fall victim to "Happy Hope" and "Someday Isle" like many do.

4. R - Relevant.  Your goal MUST be important to you. Write the reasons WHY you want to reach your goal(s). What will this success do for you?

One of my favorite coaching clients wanted to lose 60 pounds so that she could have more energy, sleep 6 hours instead of 10, fit into her size 4 pants again, (before she became overweight) -and she wanted to look more fit for the upcoming reunion with her college friends. Those goals were Very important and Relevant - and she accomplished her goals and feels like she's 26 again!

5. T - Time specific   I've referred to this several times in this blog. Setting a specific date is Critical to going after your goals with passion. There's Nothing like a sense of urgency to help us get projects done. When I want to redecorate and clean my home - I just organize a big party about 4 weeks away. It's amazing what I can get done when I have a goal-line. (notice I don't call it a "dead-line")

So set a specific date to complete your goal by.

Finally, have a reward picked out when you reach your goal. Treat yourself. Maybe it's a weekend in Boca Raton or a flight to San Diego or dinner at your favorite restaurant.
Reward yourself for your discipline and success.  Then, set more goals of course.

Reaching worthwhile goals has wonderful benefits. You will have increased confidence, self-esteem, pride and Optimism. Everyone I know who reaches goals regularly - is very optimistic and excited about LIFE and the incredible opportunities.

Be SMART and pursue your Goals with Passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment