Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2010

Top 8 Excuses NOT to workout and an Optimist's solution

Excuse #1. "I'm just too busy!"   Really?  Keep a daily journal per hour of your activities. How much time do you spend: watching TV new or sitcoms? Reading the newspaper? Laying in bed after you are wide awake?  I will bet you can carve 30 minutes if not 1 1/2 hours from those activities alone. Exercise will give you energy, help you be more productive and make you feel better about yourself.  Those other activities will NOT do anything positive for you or for your fitness level.  Best use of your time??

Excuse #2. "I tried exercising last year - but quit after 3 weeks."  C'mon, that was last year. If you exercise every day for 30 days ~ it will become a habit....a very good habit. The past does not predict the future. Get off your buns and do Something!

Excuse #3. "It's just too cold, or too hot, or too dark, or too rainy!"  Join a gym or fitness center and you'll be surrounded by others who have a mission to get fit. The weather is Always good at a fitness center. The energy and encouragement is contagious!

Excuse #4. "I've had this nagging back, or hip, or foot for years now. So I can't exercise."
Go see a doctor and get repaired. "for years" is too long. Take care of the problem and get on with your life. IF you Don't take care of this now - how do you think you'll feel in 5, 10 or 15 years?

Excuse #5. "I don't have anyone to exercise with."  Walk on your own with a Friendly ipod and the time will fly by. Or, find a friend who is as committed as you are to finally get in shape. If you can't ~ then read #3 again.

Excuse #6. "I'll start in the Spring." Really? Why wait four months? If you start now, you'll be in much better shape, have more energy and feel better in 8 weeks. Then in the Spring, you can run/walk your first 5 kilometer race. (that's 3.1 miles) Now you have a goal!

Excuse #7. "My family is big-boned so I have to just accept the shape I'm in."
Your bones account for only 20% of your weight so....
It's not the bones that are causing the excessive weight and physical hassles - it's all the junk that has built up around them.  You don't have to have bad habits just because your family does. Your life and health are Your responsibility. If you burn more calories than you consume then you will gradually get into better shape.

Excuse #8. "I work too much or travel too much - so I don't have time to workout."
You can always make time for 30 minutes of activity. Walking is easy....even on the treadmill at the hotel.   Get up earlier, get to bed earlier, turn the TV off and get off your buns!  ALWAYS pack or travel in your walking or running shoes. They take up little space in your luggage. And if you keep the exercise program going for 30 days, you'll take up less space in the airplane seat.

I know several people at our OpenDoors yoga studio who lost 100 pounds in the last couple of years - through exercise and slight food consumption changes. Find stories of people who made positive changes in their life and fitness ~ then just copy their recipe for success.

In 25 years, I have Coached many people to get into the best shape of their life ~ so I know you can do it. Remember, when you find a strong enough reason (a WHY) then you will find a HOW!

Happy New Year!   Design a great and successful one for you!

1 comment:

  1. Right On Neil!!! Making excuses to not do something can be too easy - I spent 2009 doing the opposite & with patience, discipline & goal setting pushed myself through the negative BS and achieved the energy, productivity & fitness level of my youth - even better, I imagine!!! Having gained over 70 lbs in the last few years,I stopped weighing myself when I hit 186 (why torture myself)I was finally ready to take control back and thanks to the motivation and support of those who cared I began with a few small steps.
    Late Nov in 2008 I took that 1st walk around the block & have not looked back. I must have been a sight, trudging along every single morning, no matter the weather. Within months I was Powerwalking at least 5 miles every day. Now, it was time for more serious work.
    When I began my fitness journey I went through every closet in my home and found I had amassed over the years more exercise gear that I'd like to admit. Resistance bands, Exercise ball, weights & Machines, Videos (remember the Jane Fonda Workout - Still Works!!!) There is no need to spend tons of money to get fit...use what you have and then get what you don't inexpensively through Tag Sales,CraigsList, Friends and Discount Stores.
    Join the Y or you may have a local community center with equipment. Maybe you have a Fitness Room where you live. And, don't forget the power of the Internet!! Access to thousands of free articles & videos(MSN Videos is Great!) for every type workout imaginable. This is what I did and every morning before work I gave up the TV and Walked & Worked Out!!
    My goals were always attainable at first. I picked out a Favorite pair of Jeans and looked at them every day for Motivation...once those fit, I aimed for the Bathing Suit for the 1st day of Summer...I took pictures and kindly critiqued myself and fed off the compliments of others as well as gave out all that I had learned to those who had the same struggles as I did.
    When I started walking my Neighborhood I was alone out there. I now see so many others & I like to think that I had something to do with it. We pass each other and wave and I beleive push each other in a unique way. I remember passing one Gentleman almost daily by his Home and he finally asked me what I was doing. I told him I was in training. He asked me " For What?" And I said "For the rest of my Life!!" For this is a lifestyle that you must commit to. To respect your body & take good care of it...so it can take care of You!!
    Neil, one of your favorite Authors, Napoleon Hill has a saying that is on my Wall that I have looked at every single day " Patience & Persistence & Perspiration = Success" This has become my Mantra & I thank you!
    And now, a year later as I enter 2010 70 lbs lighter, with more energy, a positive attitude about everything I do and a renewed hope for my future, I can honestly say that I love the Woman I see in the mirror, inside & out!! My Health & Fitness Journey will always continue as I strive to attain the best I can be but I have achieved the Success I wanted and it all started with a walk around the block!
    Andi

    ReplyDelete